Hey I’m James! I work as a software developer for CBRE Group where I build tools to help commercial real estate appraisers enjoy their jobs more. I also run a small consulting firm called Kanan Labs Ltd., though the day job takes most of my time these days.
🔭 The main project I’m currently working on is called Evergreen.
- Evergreen is a multi-purpose application for producing, editing and cataloging commercial real estate appraisals.
- The tool enables on-demand creation of custom valuation models, end-to-end assignment administration and execution, and data persistence.
- I’m also building a delivery and workflow management platform called Landscape.
🌱 I’m always learning Python and am currently learning-by-doing database administration, more sophisticated application architecture, kubernetes (boo 👎), and a little bit of rust (yay 🥳).
- I maintain a python project template called bulletproof-python.
- I’ve recently read Code: The hidden language of Computer Hardware and Software by Charles Petzold, The Rust Book by Steve Klabnik and Carol Nichols, and Django for Professionals by William S. Vincent. I’m currently re-reading Architecture Patterns with Python by Harry Percival and Bob Gregory, working through the Rust track on exercism, and trying to brush up on my math. I’m also picking away at my longstanding desire to learn Spanish.
💬 Ask me about desktop/enterprise programming (Evergreen is a Qt-based desktop application, unfortunately), interfacing with Microsoft Excel/Word from Python (also gross), and anything tangential to commercial real estate.
📫 How to reach me: